Pizza Time: Fun with Brie

Is this the second consecutive post from one BeeStew?  That’s insane.  Someone should call the doctor on this girl. Haha!  I wouldn’t hold my breath you guys.  I’m almost out of the recipes I have backed up on my computer.  We’ll see how far this takes me. But do enjoy these fancy pants pizzas topped with ooey, gooey brie in the meantime.


I chose to go with two different types of pizza featuring brie. The first pizza is topped with a little fig jam and prosciutto. I topped the second one with a little caramelized onion, green apple and a little arugula.

Prosciutto and Fig - Ingredients

Prosciutto (sliced thinly), 1-2 tbs fig jam, 1 pizza dough (I bought pre-made dough), brie, a little EVOO

Directions

1. Using a lightly floured, flat surface, roll out your dough as thin as you like it.  I wanted a thinner crispier dough, so I rolled it out as thinly as possible. Since I was making two different types of pizza, I cut my dough in half. 2.  Heat a lightly oiled,  medium-sized pan or in my case, a stovetop grill pan to medium to high heat.  Again I wanted to create an at home woodfire grilled type of pizza, so I went for a pan over the oven.  Obviously the results aren’t that of a woodfire grill but it certainly did the trick for a home recipe. 3. Place just the rolled out dough on the pan and brown each side of the dough. 4. Once your dough is done to an off-white golden color, top your pizza shell with the fig jam first, brie and finally the prosciutto. The heat from the freshly cooked pizza dough melted the cheese. If it’s not melting to your liking, I suggest putting the pizza under the broiler for a minute or so.  This will also crisp up your prosciutto a little.

Apple and Arugula Pizza - Ingredients

1 green apple (I used Granny Smith), 1 bunch of arugula (a cup or so), brie, ½ of 1 onion, 1 tbs butter, a dash of sugar

Directions


1. Slice the apple thinly.  I used a small mandolin to get almost paper thin apple slices. Set apples aside. 2. Thinly slice the onions into paper thin rings.  A sharp knife is definitely needed for this step.  3.  Melt the butter in a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Add the onions and cover. 4. Caramelize the onions on low-medium heat, adding a little bit of sugar along the way. This will help a little with the caramelization process. Depending on how much onion you have, this process can take up to 15 to 20 minutes.  But the results are oh so yummy. 5.  Once done, set the onions aside and let cool. 6.  Follow steps one through three from the prosciutto pizza recipe. 7. Once the pizza dough is done, take off the heat and immediately assemble your brie, onions and apple slices on top. 8. In a separate bowl, toss the arugula in a tablespoon of EVOO. Then place the arugula on top of your pizza.  9.  The arugula adds a yummy peppery flavor to the whole pizza. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment