Pumpkin Fritters

pumpkin fritters

pumpkin frittersMmm...fried dough and pumpkin.  What could be better?  I’m not sure why I thought of doing pumpkin fritters but I sure am glad I did.  Now, I’m not the best when it comes to deep frying.  I feel there’s a science to it and science and Beth do not mix well at all.  So when I took on this project it was definitely an experiment.  Aside from being a little heavy handed with the cinnamon, these fritters turned out crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. MOIST. Side note; I really like saying that word since so many people hate it.  I find it very entertaining to see people cringe. Haha!

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 can pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 tbs melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 cap full of vanilla
vegetable oil (enough to fill a deep saucepan a little more than halfway)

1.  Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2.  Next add all of the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well but not too much.  *Tip:  I like to beat my eggs separately, before adding them to the batter.  The batter should resemble thick pancake batter, not a soupy mess.  If it’s too thick, add a little bit more buttermilk.  
3.  Now, resist the urge to immediately start frying these babies.  You need to let the batter sit for about 30-40 MINUTES! Why? You need to let the spices marry and let the baking powder work it’s magic or “science.”
4.  Heat a deep saucepan full of oil at a medium heat. (CAUTION:  when I say “full” I mean a little more than halfway full. Not to the brim as that will cause a fire.)
5.  After 30 minutes, grab a spoon and scoop up some batter.  I wouldn’t scoop up too much batter as it will be hard to get the middle done.  You kind of want the size of golf balls not tennis balls.  I think.  I’m not big on those sports but I’m pretty sure a golf ball is smaller than a tennis ball.  Anywho, drop your golf balls into the saucepan.  I would drop no more than three or four.  Any more than that and your oil will drop in temperature and you will end up with soggy balls. Bahahahaha, “soggy balls.” Anywho, your balls should be floating to the surface.  About 1 ½ to 2 minutes on each side should work well.  Place your fried balls onto a brown paper bag or paper towel to drain the excess oil.
6.  Lastly, dust the fritters with some powdered sugar and indulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment